Monday, July 21, 2008

A nation of whiners...

I'm not someone who is political in any sense of the word. Yes, I vote and I do care about the issues, and I will occassionally write to our President or the local representatives. But, I don't usually share my political views with others.

Maybe its my midwestern upbringing, but I truly believe that unless someone REALLY wants to know, religion and politics isn't something to be demonstrative about.

Recently I read where someone from one of the camps who are supporting the two presumptive candidates for President called America a nation of "whiners". And, I will get onto a little soapbox today and agree with the man.

I think its more than whining. Recenltly a town in Ohio had decided to not allow their Little League to have an "all-star" game because having that game excludes some of the children in the league. So to avoid hurting the self-esteem of some of the players, they decided not to celebrate those who excel. HUH? It may just be me, but that is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

What's next? No grades because a C student might be hurt he/she didn't get an A? Or, no science fair because someone might NOT get a blue ribbon.

What a diservice that town is doing to its children. Isn't part of competeing learning how to lose? How can someone learn to strive to be better if they are never told they aren't doing well enough? Can you imagine what will happen when little Johnny or Susie gets out into the world? He/she won't be able to pick him/herself up and dust off and start again when failure happens.

When did doing "just enough" or getting by become the norm? I suppose it was about the same time that taking responsibility for ones action became not the thing to do.

Its sad really.

No comments: