Thursday, July 17, 2008

A beginning ...









So, where to start....


I have a friend who says I should write more. She tried to get me to "write a novel in a month" but life seemed to get in the way (for both of us) and so my great American novel has only about 1000 words at the moment.

And then what comes to mind is ... why would anyone give a darn what I have to say. Of course my Aquarian brain answers my own question with ... why wouldn't anyone give a damn what you have to say? ... and so here I am.

I decided recently, that although I love to write, I love to take pictures just as much, if not a lot more. And so, this blog will be my way of not only sharing with friends, and maybe others, some of my thoughts, but also sharing my images with the world. Now don't get me wrong, I don't see myself as the next Annie Lebowitz, or Ansel Adams, but people seem to like what I shoot, so why not share.

So here is my first picture... oh wait ... but what should the first picture be? Most of my friends know I take a lot of concert pictures, so why not something new? The pictures above was taken in London. I loved London. I don't know if it was because my trip there was the first I had ever planned and totally alone, or because it was my first trip "abroad", but London is a gorgeous city with so many things to see and do.

I loved the vibrancy of the place contrasted by the history. The Tower of London standing there across from Parliment is such a testiment to how so many things survive long after those who build them are gone. It goes to show that for all of our bravado and posturing that all of us, no matter how great or small will someday be gone, hopefully to be remembered in some small way by future generations.

I've thought a lot lately about how I would like to be seen by people. Maybe I shouldn't care, but I'm on a journey to understand myself more, so I have been trying to understand others' view of me as well as how I see them.
I'd like to be seen as kinder and more open than I think people see me now. I want people to see the joy that remains buried underneath a shell of coolness and distance. A photo professor once told me that a lot of my pictures seem to be looking out into the light. I think that its more like I'm looking at the world from a safe distance where I can't be hurt or trampled.

And so ... world, my goal for the remainder of 2008 and beyond is to come a bit farther out into the light. Do what you will to me... you've done it before. I'll survive.

1 comment:

Raleigh1 said...

You write almost as beautifully as you take photographs! I love how your artist's eye sees things others just look past and focuses on them. Gives one a different look than the usual tourist glimpse. Looking forward to more!